- How money from slavery made Greater Manchester
- The importance of cotton in north west England
- The Lancashire cotton famine
- Smoking, drinking and the British sweet tooth
- Black presence in Britain and north west England
- Resistance and campaigns for abolition
- The bicentenary of British abolition
Why was cotton so important in north west England?
About these people: These families are just a few examples of the many people who made their fortunes through textile industries in the north west of England. Many thousands of workers laboured in the mills in conditions that some argued were not much better than slavery.